Welcome to my garden

There are so many jewels in my garden... rich soil, flowers, veggies and herbs, birds, butterflies, hummingbirds, ladybugs, seeds sprouting, the sound of the water fountain, but the best jewels are family and friends when they join me in the garden and share in the peace and beauty of what our Heavenly Father has provided me with. So many jewels, so many blessings. Julie +: )

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's Time to Garden

January... is the month to get the house back in order after packing up Christmas decorations and bringing out all the stuff I tucked away to make room for Christmas. It's the month that gets me in the mood to unclutter and reorganize closets, cabinets, drawers, the pantry. I've done good. I still have lots more to do but...
the weather draws me outdoors to sit in a sunny spot and relax, read a book, look at pretty magazines. It doesn't take long to see there's lots to do in the garden. Weeds to clear out, roses to prune, flowers to plant, vegetable gardens to clean out,

compost to spread...
take inventory... what do I still have... what do I want to add...
My orange tree has not grown. It is a dwarf. I didn't want a dwarf but it is what it is. It hasn't given very many oranges, but the sweet taste of these oranges makes up for the size of the tree.

My lemon tree produces the best lemons!
I still have eggplants, bell peppers, jalapenos, hatch chiles, green beans, and chives...

I have rosemary, cilantro, sage, oregano, margoram, curry, thyme, parsley, lemon balm. I cut back my basil, which does not do well in winter, and it is showing signs of life.

I've learned not to plant tomatoes in the fall because they end up freezing, but these came up on their own by a rose bush. They're looking sort of wimpy but maybe they'll survive. I'll take the freebies anytime!

After spreading compost, I added lettuce, spinach, zucchini, squash, snow peas, swiss chard, cucumbers, and radishes. I still plan to sow red and white onion, carrots and who knows what else. Definitely not corn! Definitely not broccoli!
Once I get the vegetable and herb gardens going,
it's on to my flower garden~
Cramming lots into one month!

~In the Garden~
A Collection of Prayers for Everyday
by Marsha Maurer

A Prayer For Purpose

A seed holds the complete design for life. The plan becomes the plant.
In the same way, Lord, let me see Your purpose contained in my life.
 Although I often flounder and struggle to find direction,
I know that my existence is not by accident or chance.
Remind me of Your intention for my life.
I am not here for pleasure, honor, prestige, or wealth.
Guide me to see that selfish enjoyment is not Your aim for me.
Make my life a blessing to others.
May the seed that You planted in my heart at my creation grow to maturity. Whether conditions be fertile or barren, make me bloom with the deeply planted satisfaction of Your will.
Amen.

"But those sown on rich soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.” Mark 4:20


8 comments:

  1. Oh Julie!
    Those oranges!
    Those lemons!
    That compost!
    (Is it kind of weird to drool over a picture of compost?)
    This convinces me I'm living in the wrong place. At least I'm convinced until summertime rolls around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the changed look of your blog! Why don't you plant corn or broccoli? They are good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virginia, last year my corn stalks grew nice and tall but the cobs had no kernels!! And the broccoli heads were totally bald : }

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, it's okay to drool over compost. I do it too. Every year her compost looks amazing and it's a good thing I don't live closer because I would be stealing my Momma's beautiful compost because it makes her garden grow so beautiful and tasty!
    I miss you Momma and can't wait to see you next.
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely January garden...mine is asleep under snow! Oh how I crave one of your oranges or lemons. xoxoxo Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful prayer Julie.
    I am trying to imagine a vegetable garden like that in January. How wonderful that must be. I can't get over those beautiful oranges and lemons!!!!
    It sounds like you are enjoying your winter dear friend.
    sending many hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, you need to have your own garden magazine! The photos you take are always so vibrate and you place everything so perfectly in your website. I'm so envious of it all! Even the compost! ha..ha.. Even the dirt looks so rich with color! Now I have plenty of room to do this in my yard :) Hopefully in a year from now I'll have a Jr. Julie garden :)I'll be your student anyday!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautifully crafted post. Yes there are jewels in a garden indeed! I am fascinated by the language used in seventeenth-century gardening handbooks. Often the names given to fruit in particular are reminiscent of precious stones.

    Have a lovely week.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

I would lo♥e to know that you were here...