Welcome to my garden

There are so many jewels in my garden... rich soil, flowers, veggies and herbs, birds, butterflies, hummingbirds, ladybugs, seeds sprouting, the sound of the water fountain, but the best jewels are family and friends when they join me in the garden and share in the peace and beauty of what our Heavenly Father has provided me with. So many jewels, so many blessings. Julie +: )

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sharing Faith At School

Protecting what we have

Reclaiming what we've lost

Shaping how we become

These are notebooks and folders being sold at Walmart stores. It is encouraging to see the country's largest retailer stocking school supplies with openly religious messages. It is encouraging to see christian messages being promoted.

As we see Christianity removed from our schools, isn't it teaching children that christian values and faith are something to hide and be embarrased about?

Many times teachers have the mistaken impression that anything religious is not allowed in school, and they make on-the-spot decisions that religious items need to go. They are wrong.

Some school boards have adopted official policies that inhibit student-initiated religious expression. But these policies also are inconsistent with what the relevant laws actually say.

Such messages are perfectly legal and they conform with court rulings that give wide latitude to students who want to express religious views in public schools.

Given the precedents established by court decisions, parents who stand up for the religious rights of their children to voluntarily express their beliefs in a way that doesn't disrupt instruction will usually win, if they have informed legal counsel.

This is information provided by Attorney David Cortman of the Alliance Defense Fund. View an interview with him by clicking
here.

He advises students to first obey school authority if they are told to keep religious messages out of sight, but then parents ought to step in. The ADF provides a "Students Rights Handbook"
here

Isn't it time to bring God back into our schools?


"God loved the world so much that He gave His only Son" John 3:16


This message is illegal in 53 countries.


Restricted nations: 40


Hostile areas: 13

3 comments:

  1. I am sooooo happy to meet you ---- Michelle's Mom! Thank you so much for your comments on my blog today. I appreciate that so very much. Believe me, Michelle has been an inspiration to ME! I can't imagine going through all this with little ones there to raise, etc. She is strong and such an example of bravery and faith!

    As for your post today, it was uplifting to see these notebooks. I'm cheering here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool and I am heading to my Walmart this week to purchase some of these for a gift idea I have!!!

    Thanks for sharing,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie you are awesome to write such a wonderful post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And hurray for Walmart!

    I just shake my head when some groups of society are always yelling freedom of speech, and they are trying to squelch my own freedom to express what I am passionate about because it is offensive to them.

    thank you sweet friend for the lovely comment you left for me to read today. I am so thankful to call you friend.

    sending big hugs...

    ReplyDelete

I would lo♥e to know that you were here...