Welcome to my garden

There are so many jewels in my garden... rich soil, flowers, veggies and herbs, birds, butterflies, hummingbirds, ladybugs, seeds sprouting, the sound of the water fountain, but the best jewels are family and friends when they join me in the garden and share in the peace and beauty of what our Heavenly Father has provided me with. So many jewels, so many blessings. Julie +: )

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Summer Garden


After losing all my spring flowers my garden was looking bare. Living in Arizona you'd think I would just give up on gardening during the hot summer months of the usual 110-115 degree weather. Not much will grow but a few that will are vinca, portulaca, zinnias, and marigolds. So I made a trip to the nursery and also came home with a few I had not tried before... angelonia, pentas and lisianthus. 

Since I didn't buy enough plants to fill the flower beds,  I decided to plant these in pots. They made it through the summer and actually thrived thanks to automatic daily watering.


My vegetable garden went wild. I was gone a lot and it was ignored. I don't think you are supposed to ignore vegetable gardens. If you do, they will make you pay. I had vines growing everywhere. Not knowing what it was I let them grow. I found out I was growing cantaloupe.
 I never know what will come out of my compost.
Because this vine overtook the vegetable garden I was afraid to step into it. I wish I had taken a before picture. I finally got the nerve to clean it out and was surprised to not find any creatures living under there.

Gardening is therapeutic for me. The harder I work out there the better I feel or should I say forget, and I needed it since I was letting worry overcome me. This round of Michelle's chemo treatment was leaving me feeling helpless and worried. Click HERE for an update.

So I was happy to tackle the cleanup. I pulled and raked and trimmed and dug and before the end of the day it was looking pretty good.
Under all the mess, I found I still had rosemary, tomato plants, new green beans sprouting, swiss chard,
eggplant, bell peppers, sweet basil, and more eggplants
I have about 8 eggplant volunteers (thanks to the compost).
Be ready family and friends. Get your eggplant recipes out!
In my smaller vegetable gardens, I have hatch chiles...
  boxwood basil
I trimmed the overgrown oregano
I also have marjoram, thyme, mint, jalapenos & chives
and now that our weather is cooling down,
I have room to plant lettuce, spinach, cilantro, parsley...
and I'm going to try beets for the first time!
And when I get back from Michelle's I will be filling up my flower beds!!
So happy summer is over!!!
:'( my mandevilla did not make it)

2 comments:

  1. awww your Mandy didn't make it. Bummer. I thought for sure it would make it.
    Your clean up work looks beautiful. :)
    Can't wait to enjoy some swiss chard. LOOKS yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your veggies look awesome! I looooove egg plant so maybe I'll be lucky to get some yummy herbs & veggies from you :) You still need to see our house and my garden to be one day :) I know how you feel about your garden being therapy for you. That's what my stamping is for me. Love you Julie!

    ReplyDelete

I would lo♥e to know that you were here...