Our recent visit to historic downtown Charleston in South Carolina started with a carriage ride to get a feel for the town. We had a good experience of staying in the center of downtown when we visited Boston a few years ago so we decided to do the same here. We especially liked not having a car and exploring it all by walking, taking a trolley, a ferry, or a carriage ride.
our carriage and tour guide
so many homes had a door to the porch
lots of ornamental gates
their famous Pineapple Fountain in Waterfront Park
lots
of
churches
on
Church
Street
We attended Sunday Mass at Saint Mary's Catholic Church
I learned the difference between a cemetery and a graveyard...
if it's on church grounds it's a graveyard, I had no idea.
if it's on church grounds it's a graveyard, I had no idea.
We took in some tours
took a ferry
to Fort Sumter
where the Civil War began
went across the bridge to Sullivan's Island
to tour Fort Moultrie
we took this path down to the beach
for a good view of the Sullivan's Island Lighthouse
we came across the Shem Creek Bar & Grill before heading out
a few other places we ate in historic Charleston were
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
and a romantic dinner at Husk
A few other good places we ate at were The Noisy Oyster, The Blind Tiger Pub, Tommy Condon's and one of my favorites... Toast. Loved their "Eggs Meeting Street" a fried green tomato topped with a crab cake, poached egg and a remoulade sauce, served with a biscuit and either home fried or grits. Yum! We went back for more the last morning there.
We toured the Magnolia Plantation
imagine living here with this wrap around porch
and these magnificent views
my favorite...
After our time in Charleston, we rented a car and drove to Surfside Beach where we mostly hung out in this spot all day each day we were there
this was our view every single morning
I can't wait
to go back!
.jpg)
My daughter and I went there for a small vacation about 3 years ago. I absolutely loved that town. So much history and charm. We toured the plantations also. beautiful. Smiles, Susie
ReplyDeleteWOW what cool pictures!! I can't believe you came home:) Glad you did, it is getting nice here now!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful trip to South Carolina. I enjoyed so much looking at the beautiful photos. I have to put this on my list on places to visit! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteJody
HEYYYYY you forget to end your last line with, "I can't wait to go next year with USSS!!!"
ReplyDeleteYou should have posted a pic of Nathan at the bottom when we went and he was so tiny. Awww But not one of me and my big watermelon belly! LOL
I love all your pics Momma and looks like you guys had a beautiful deserved vacation!!! :)
You are right Michelle. I left out the best part...that next time you will be there with us and Megan will be out of your belly this time! I need to go back and complete it!!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI tried looking at the pics the other day, but my dang computer kept giving me red x's instead of pics. Now that I can actually see them I feel like I just went on a mini vacation! It's beautiful and I'll have to add it to my "get there someday list" especially with all that history. Oh, is that beach spot where you were sitting that day you took a deep breath for me while I was at work?! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by. Happy Halloween to you and your family!
ReplyDeleteJody
This looks so lovely! Those trees and that bridge are stunning. Thanks for sharing. xo
ReplyDelete