There are so many jewels in my garden... rich soil, flowers, veggies and herbs, birds, butterflies, hummingbirds, ladybugs, seeds sprouting, the sound of the water fountain, but the best jewels are family and friends when they join me in the garden and share in the peace and beauty of what our Heavenly Father has provided me with. So many jewels, so many blessings. Julie +: )
Friday, January 7, 2011
When Life Gives you Lemons...Put a Sock on It!
We had a few nights of freezing temps and I did not want to lose these beautiful lemons.
Even though my lemon tree is still pretty small, it was too big to cover completely so I did the next best thing.
They each got their own warm sock to keep them from freezing!!
Hi Julie, What a great idea! If I could grow lemons here, I'm afraid I would be out there with a blow dryer, if that's what it took. My climate is so cold in Winter, and the highs have only been getting into the teens this week. EEK! SOmetimes I wonder why we live here.LOL! so sweet of you to come by and wish me well. big hug
That is brilliant! So, I think I've shared my obsession with all things citrus, (always want what I can't have), so I'm full of questions. I'll limit myself to one for today. Do they all get ripe at the exact same time, and if so, do you squeeze and freeze? Or do they come on a few at a time? And do they only get fruit once a year or several times. Did I say only one question? I lied.
Hi Teresa, the majority of them ripen at the same time, but they will usually stay good on the tree from late Nov or early Dec all the way through March. So I pick them as I need them. Last year I had twice as many but some were affected by freezing temps, which is why I bundled them up this year. They only give fruit once a year. But it is a year process. The new blossoms start in the spring so in March when the new blossoms are starting, I pick what's left of the ripe lemons and squeeze and freeze to use all year long. I use the snack baggies with 1/2 cup juice in each and then put all the baggies in a large freezer bag. That way I can pull out one baggie at a time. Hope that answers your question : ) Maybe you could try a patio tree in that gorgeous green house of yours. Once those slimy slugs check out of there! Have you tried salt? yuck, not a good image!
I have tried to grow a lemon tree three times now and they have all died. I love love love lemons and am so sad I've had little success. I see lemon trees in so many yards in my neighborhood. I don't know what we've done wrong. We asked the local nursery for advice and did all they said. Our last lemon tree lived two years, no lemons, and died in last winters freeze. boo hoo. Yours is so pretty!
Kerrie, I will check with my daughter as she walked me through it and I'll send you an email. As you can see I have both your blogs on my side bar. I love reading both of them!
Hi Julie,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! If I could grow lemons here, I'm afraid I would be out there with a blow dryer, if that's what it took. My climate is so cold in Winter, and the highs have only been getting into the teens this week. EEK! SOmetimes I wonder why we live here.LOL!
so sweet of you to come by and wish me well.
big hug
heehee! I've been waiting to see this pic! HAHAHA LOVE IT!
ReplyDeleteSee ya in the morning. :)
Love you,
M
Couldn't wait to see your lemon tree all bundled up! This is to funny, but hey you will still have good lemons!
ReplyDeleteThat is brilliant!
ReplyDeleteSo, I think I've shared my obsession with all things citrus, (always want what I can't have), so I'm full of questions. I'll limit myself to one for today. Do they all get ripe at the exact same time, and if so, do you squeeze and freeze? Or do they come on a few at a time? And do they only get fruit once a year or several times.
Did I say only one question?
I lied.
Hi Teresa, the majority of them ripen at the same time, but they will usually stay good on the tree from late Nov or early Dec all the way through March. So I pick them as I need them. Last year I had twice as many but some were affected by freezing temps, which is why I bundled them up this year. They only give fruit once a year. But it is a year process. The new blossoms start in the spring so in March when the new blossoms are starting, I pick what's left of the ripe lemons and squeeze and freeze to use all year long. I use the snack baggies with 1/2 cup juice in each and then put all the baggies in a large freezer bag. That way I can pull out one baggie at a time.
ReplyDeleteHope that answers your question : )
Maybe you could try a patio tree in that gorgeous green house of yours. Once those slimy slugs check out of there! Have you tried salt? yuck, not a good image!
I have tried to grow a lemon tree three times now and they have all died. I love love love lemons and am so sad I've had little success. I see lemon trees in so many yards in my neighborhood. I don't know what we've done wrong. We asked the local nursery for advice and did all they said. Our last lemon tree lived two years, no lemons, and died in last winters freeze. boo hoo. Yours is so pretty!
ReplyDeleteI just noticed that you have the Mass readings on your side bar. How did you do that? I would like to put that on my In The Quiet blog.
ReplyDeleteKerrie, I will check with my daughter as she walked me through it and I'll send you an email. As you can see I have both your blogs on my side bar. I love reading both of them!
ReplyDelete